Pet Information


The Humane Society of the United States estimates that of the 6 million to 8 million dogs and cats taken into companion animal shelters across the country, half are euthanized for health ailments, behavior issues and for lack of space. Fortunately, in Hawaii there are several resources in place to ensure quality pet care. In addition to some of the resources described here, Oahu offers many low-cost training classes and veterinarian care for your forever military pet.

The Army and Marines employ animal control officers who enforce pet policies in base housing and help reunite lost animals. All bases have veterinarian clinics providing preventative care, and many military community housing developments like Forest City Military Communities contain dog parks, where trained, socialized animals that are not in heat can play with other animals. Please check with your military housing office to find out what pet-friendly events they may have planned and what pet policies apply, especially if there are any prohibited dog breeds.

Besides pet-friendly events, such as Army’s yearly Dog Days of Summer, troops can utilize the Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) Pet Kennel, winner of the 2005 “Spirit of the Eagle Award” for best Army MWR facility. Many military retailers are now partnering with animal nonprofit organizations.

The Hawaiian Humane Society and the Oahu Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals hold outreach events at Schofield Barracks and the Pearl Harbor Navy Exchange Garden Center Pet Stop, giving our men and woman in uniform the opportunity to not only adopt a forever cat or dog but to sign up to volunteer at the shelter and foster pets.

One organization working with our Wounded Warriors with the Marines and Army is Hawaii Fi-Do, a service dog organization. Therapy and service dogs visit the barracks regularly, providing training for the dogs and comfort for the injured service members. For more information on Hawaii Fi-Do, please call 808-638-0200.

Tripler’s Human Animal Bond Program offers patients, families and staff a unique therapy with the help of several very special pets. The program is sponsored by the American Red Cross using specially chosen dogs, cats and rabbits.

The Pet Facilitated Therapy Program uses animals to assist a therapist in helping patients who are recovering from physical, mental or social illness. Tripler’s American Red Cross sponsors the Animal Visitation Program, where volunteers bring pets to wards, clinics and waiting areas for informal visits.

All animals are screened by veterinary services and must pass strict behavioral and physical qualifications to be a part of this program. All handlers also receive special training. For more information, contact the Human Animal Bond Program at 808-433-6631.Hawaiian Humane Society

The nonprofit Hawaiian Humane Society is Oahu’s only open-admission shelter that welcomes all animals and is the official partner with the Honolulu Police Department in enforcing animal-related laws. Call 808-356-2217 to receive a copy of our guidebook on local laws to know, including mandatory pet identification requirements, anti-abandonment, driving with animals and more. The society maintains Oahu’s official database of microchips and all pet owners new to Oahu must register with the organization to ensure lost pets get reunited with owners. to learn more about their 30 programs and services, including an adoption center, volunteer programs, lost and found services, pet ID programs and events. Email for more information.Military Veterinarian Clinics

The U.S. Army Veterinary Corps operates four veterinary medical facilities on Oahu that provide services for pets owned by qualified patrons (DEERS enrollment).

Fort Shafter
Building 435

Schofield Barracks
Building 936

Pearl-Hickam Joint Base
Building 1864

Building 455

Pets are seen by appointment. Appointment times vary depending on the facility, but most sites offer appointments Monday through Friday, with occasional evening and weekend appointments offered.

Services offered include routine sick-call appointments and well-patient exams with a focus on prevention-medicine and wellness services such as vaccination, fecal testing, heartworm and infectious disease screening, health certificates and microchipping. Most facilities offer laboratory testing and radiology services.

Some facilities offer routine surgical (spay, neuter, mass removal) and dental services on a space-available basis.

All services and products are associated with a fee to the pet owner that is due at the time services are provided. Fees are generally significantly lower than those charged by civilian veterinary practices.

Due to the limited extent of services and no emergency services, it is recommended that all pet owners have civilian veterinary care options established.Military Breed Bans

All pit bulls and pit bull mixes are banned from military housing. Other breeds are dependent on service. Please contact your base housing office to find out what other breeds are prohibited should you decide to reside in military housing.Military Dog Parks

Many of the military base housing services provide dog parks. Please call your housing office to find out if your housing community offers this service to its residents.Hawaii Military Pets

Launched August 2011, Hawaii Military Pets is a one-stop resource for all Hawaii military pet information, celebrating the bond between all animals and our Hawaii men and women in uniform. Through this online resource, find pet transport information, boarding services, Hawaii military pet policies and more. This project is an interactive way for service members to talk about what resources they need for their forever family pet. This is also a forum to solicit feedback on issues such as military breed bans, feral cat issues on base, foster and adoption programs for the deploying troops, as well as overall military pet policies. Please call 808-388-3423 for more information.Pet Information for Deploying Service Members

The Pets of Patriots Program is designed to place pets in a caring home while their owner is deployed. If you are an active-duty service member seeking foster care for your animal while deployed, or you are interested in becoming a foster volunteer, please contact the Hawaiian Humane Society Outreach coordinator at 808-356-2217.MWR Pet Facility Offers Four-star Accommodations

Military pet owners can provide their pets with their own four-star accommodations at the MWR Kennel Facility, located at the former Hawaii Animal Quarantine Station, which is one of just three facilities under military control in the world. It fulfills a need for a place for military members to house their dogs and cats during PCS ins and outs, TDYs and emergencies.

Each dog kennel is approximately 6 by 14 feet. The entire kennel is covered and fenced and includes separate run and bedding areas. Cat kennels are about half the size of the dog kennels and feature a climbing apparatus and sleeping ledge. Also, the post veterinary staff inspects the facility on a quarterly basis for cleanliness, grounds maintenance and general animal care.

Owners are also encouraged to bring toys and bedding to help make their pet comfortable during their stay.

The costs at the MWR Kennel Facility are much lower than civilian facilities. Rates for boarding dogs are $16 per day and $12 for a second family pet boarding in the same kennel. Cats are $12 per day and $7 for the second animal sharing the same kennel.

The kennel facility is open to all services across the island, including retirees and DOD civilians. Eligibility and priority for boarding animals are as follows: deploying personnel, PCS personnel housed in transient quarters or guest housing, personnel on emergency leave, temporary duty personnel, regular or military leave personnel, Department of Army personnel and all other branches of service personnel. Dogs and cats must have all shots current, including rabies and bordetella, be on flea and heartworm preventative, and be in good health. Additionally, customers must bring shot records and a health certificate within 10 days of boarding pets. Most importantly, if the service member leaves the island during the boarding period, the kennel manager must have the name, number and address of an on-island contact.

The reservation form and other important information are located at the MWR Army Hawaii website at, under Rec & Leisure.

In order to reserve a space, the registration form must be completed and a two-day boarding deposit must be submitted to the kennel at least 20 days prior to the boarding date. Deposit will be refunded if the reservation is canceled within five days of boarding. Boarding of animals without reservations will only be accepted on a space-available basis.

Visiting hours are 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, noon to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The facility is closed to customers Monday and Friday. Call 808-368-3456 to make reservations.Additional Resources for Your Military Pet

Hawaii has three magazines for the pet community. Hawaii Pet magazine is distributed quarterly and contains pet-friendly events, nonprofit listings and other resources for all companion animals. Island Dog magazine is similar in scope but is geared for dog owners. Lastly, Ilio magazine is available with an emphasis on conformation and performance dog events. For more information, Hawaii Pet and Island Dog are found via website and on Facebook. Ilio dog magazine is located in many Oahu pet stores and veterinarian clinics.Island Pet Movers

Island Pet Movers takes over the process of moving your pets to Hawaii from the day you call us. Regardless of where you are in the process, we will make this move stress-free for you and your pets. We are locally owned and operated in Honolulu, and we are experts at relocating pets to and from Hawaii. Island Pet Movers has a strong connection with our military members. With having more than 29 years of our own military life experience and firsthand knowledge of PCSing with pets, we are your go-to people. All documents are processed for you in person and we guarantee same-day direct release. We work directly with your vet clinic on the mainland or overseas to be sure that we have everything that we need and answer any questions your vet clinic may have. We work hard to find you the least expensive and most comfortable routing for your pets’ travel to Hawaii. We are proud to serve our military clients and offer 10 percent discounts on all of our services for military members. If your spouse is currently deployed, we offer an additional 5 percent discount as our way of thanking you and your family for your sacrifice. Please visit us at or on Facebook, or call 808-783-8419.Hawaii’s Animal Quarantine Laws

Hawaii is a rabies-free state. Hawaii’s quarantine law is designed to protect residents and pets from potentially serious health problems associated with the introduction and spread of rabies. Success of the quarantine program is dependent on maintaining isolation of your pet from other animals for the required quarantine period. Importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii is governed by Chapter 4-29 of the State of Hawaii, Department of Agriculture Administrative Rules. This law states that these animals are required to complete a 120-day confinement in the State Animal Quarantine Station. If specific pre-arrival and post-arrival requirements are met, animals may qualify for a 30-day or a five-day-or-less quarantine. A five-day-or-less checklist on Pages 152-153 has been developed to assist pet owners with that process (also available as a PDF at

Hawaii Resident Pets: Owners wishing to leave the state of Hawaii with their pets, and return, must meet all requirements for five-day-or-less quarantine program to return without extended quarantine. The 120-day “pre-arrival” waiting period, after a successful rabies blood test, can be completed prior to leaving the state or can be done in combination with time spent out of state before re-entry.

For more information or to download the Pet Quarantine Hawaii brochure, Email, or contact the quarantine office at:Hawaii Department of Agriculture

Animal Quarantine Station
99-951 Halawa Valley St.
Aiea, HI 96701-5602

Hotel Reservations

It is recommended that you make your hotel reservations well in advance, especially if you are going to arrive during the peak months of December through March or May through August. There are several agencies advertised in this guide that can provide you with TLA information, accommodations guides including hotels and alternative accommodation and other travel advice. The Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau provides many of these services as well and can be reached at 808-923-1811. Be sure that your TLA will cover accommodations before making reservations.

Honolulu International Airport

Honolulu International Airport, a joint military-civilian airport sharing facilities with Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, is the primary hub for international, domestic and inter-island flights. Located 3 miles from downtown Honolulu and 7 miles from Waikiki, Honolulu International Airport is one of three state airports that accommodate international flights. Twenty-two major airlines have service to the airport, including four direct service domestic airlines and 16 international airlines.

It’s important to note that Honolulu International Airport also features a highly modern and convenient inter-island terminal with convenient, regularly scheduled arrivals and departures between the islands.

The following are visitor information numbers for local area airports:

  • Honolulu International Airport (HNL) 808-836-6411
  • Hilo International Airport (ITO) 808-961-9300
  • Kahului Airport (OGG) 808-872-3830
  • Kona International Airport at Keahole (KOA) 808-327-9520
  • Waimea-Kohala Airport (MUE) 808-887-8126

Your sponsor should meet you at the airport, provide transportation from the airport, check you in to your new command and provide general information about the community prior to your move. Make sure you are in contact with your sponsor as soon as possible before leaving for Hawaii. Your sponsor will be important to you, especially immediately upon arrival. If you are not met by anyone at the airport and require lodging, you should contact your respective command duty officer or go to the USO at the airport. The USO, located at the Honolulu International Airport, is available for use by all military personnel and their family members, reservists on active duty, retirees and Department of Defense civilians on orders. Located between baggage claims E and F, the center is open 8 a.m. to midnight and can be reached at 808-836-3351.


All plants and propagative plant parts require inspection before they are allowed entry into the state of Hawaii. All plants should be free from insects, diseases and sand, soil or earth. The parcels should be clearly labeled “LIVE PLANTS” so the transportation agency can refer them to a plant quarantine inspector for examination if necessary. It is recommended that you time the shipment to arrive during the early part of the week. Applications for permits or certificates may be acquired by writing:U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

International Arrivals Building
Honolulu International Airport
Honolulu, HI 96820

Hawaii Schools and Educational Opportunities

There are approximately 24,468 school-age dependents of military members assigned to installations in Hawaii. All children between ages 5 (as of July 31) and 18 years of age must attend school as kindergarten is mandatory in Hawaii.

Hawaii State Law requires all students to meet health examination and immunization requirements before they may attend any public or private school in the state.

Branch School Liaisons: Subject matter experts to help with all school questions and concerns:

Air Force/Navy


Coast Guard

Marine Corps

National Guard


The statewide school program in Hawaii is among the 10 largest in the United States. The Hawaii school district consists of 288 schools, 255 regular and 34 charter schools, on seven islands, with more than 180,000 total students, and 122,000 of them on Oahu. Of the over 24,000 military dependents, approximately 15,000 dependents attend public schools.

Understanding alignment of attendance: There is only one statewide school district in Hawaii. The schools are grouped into Complex Areas: one high school, multiple elementary schools and one or two middle schools. To view the schools in each complex,

For the school year 2015-2016, all public schools, except charter schools and multi-track public schools, require a school year of 180 instructional days, which includes 915 student instructional hours for elementary school grades and 990 student instructional hours for secondary school grades.

Kindergarten eligibility: Children who are 5 years of age by July 31 must be enrolled in kindergarten. For more information, contact your child’s school, your branch school liaison, or call the Hawaii Dept. of Education, Early Childhood Education Specialist at 808-832-3303, ext. 249.

Graduation Requirements: Beginning with the class of 2016: Graduation requirements for Hawaii public schools, grades nine through 12 include the following credits (see sidebar on page 130) (for more information:


Charter schools are public schools operating independently from the Department of Education (DOE) and provide an alternative to regular public schools. Thirteen of Hawaii’s 33 charter schools are located on Oahu. To learn more about the charter schools in Hawaii, visit


Hawaii has at least 150 private schools with more than 100 on Oahu. Tuition at these institutes ranges from about $3,000 to $20,000 for day students. Many of the schools have waiting lists and require entrance tests and interviews prior to admission. For information on private school, application and admission requirements, go to the Hawaii Association of Independent Schools (HAIS),

• Hawaii Catholic Schools:

• Hawaii Lutheran Schools:

• K12 Academics:

• Private School Review:


Hawaii Board of Education regulations include Compulsory Attendance Exceptions recognizing home schooling as a viable and legitimate alternative for child education. This regulation allows parents to home-school their children by officially informing the DOE with a notice of intent using a DOE Form 4140 or a letter containing the child’s name and birthdate, residential address, point of contact phone number, grade level and parental signature.

This notice of intent acknowledges, as a matter of record, the parent’s intent to home school and allows the Hawaii Department of Education to assist parents in their educational efforts. For more information regarding homeschooling in Hawaii, go to:

Basic home schooling requirements include but are not limited to:

• Narrative progress report and report card

• HIDOE testing for students in grades three, five, eight and 10.

Home-schooled children may participate in the HIDOE statewide testing program at the local public school or parents may arrange for private testing at their own expense.

NOTE: Parents must submit Hawaii Form 4140 or a letter of intent to their residential school; yet, parents do not need to enroll their student in school if home schooling, nor fill out Impact Aid cards as they do not apply to home-schooled children. Therefore, birth certificate, proof of residency, TB clearance, Form 14 physical examination form are not required to home school.

The home schooling parent is responsible for the child’s total education program as a homeschooled child is not eligible to enroll in selected courses, e.g., music, foreign language or sports. For information on Hawaii curriculum content and performance standards,

Home Schooling and High School: A student who wants a high school diploma can obtain one by achieving a satisfactory GED test score, which is administered by various community schools. The diploma reflects high school equivalency through adult education. Please call the high school in your residential area, or your branch school liaison, for complete details on home schooling and high school questions.

Families are required to notify the principal if the home schooling program is terminated or if another educational program is initiated. For more information, contact the principal of the schools that serves your residential area, or Homeschooling-FAQs.aspx.Homeschooling Resources

• Home School Legal Defense Association:

• Hawaii Home School Association:

• Military Home Education’ Network of Oahu:


Complete information can be found on the Hawaii DOE Web

To enroll parents will need:

• Birth Certificate and all legal documents such as power of attorney if not residing with parents.

• Physical Examination: Medical records documenting that a licensed physician has examined the child within one year of school entry date. Or, provide an appointment card/date if you could not get an appointment for a physical examination.

• Tuberculosis Clearance: The examination must include a negative Tuberculin Skin Test with the result indicating the millimeter reading (which must be performed by a licensed U.S. physician) and must have been obtained within one year of school entry date.

• Immunizations: All immunizations must meet the minimum age and interval dose. For a complete list visit

• Transcripts and Documents from the previous school: A release from the last school attended, which includes an unofficial transcript or latest report card as well as IEPs for students with special needs. Most schools do not release official permanent student records until requested by the new school. Parents or guardians are advised to hand-carry copies of report cards, promotion certificates and other materials that will be helpful in the enrollment and placement of students in proper courses.

• Proof of residence: You will need a rental agreement/military housing documentation/mortgage or a copy of a utility bill (water, electric, gas or telephone). Documents must have parent/ guardian(s) name.

• Legal documents: Power of attorney and/or court documents if not living with parents.School Calendars

All public schools, except charter and multi-track schools, follow a single school calendar. School starts early in Hawaii, usually the last week of July or the first week of August. See the calendar for school year is included in this section or visit and click on SCHOOL CALENDAR.School Transportation

School-bus service in Hawaii requires payment. Eligible families may elect to use the bus for transportation and this cost is available from annual passes to monthly passes. For complete information and requirements visit

City Bus: The city-operated carrier, called “TheBus,” is available to students (up to age 19 with a valid high school ID) for $1.25 a ride. Monthly passes are $30 and Annual passes $330. for more information.

District Offices: Once you have found a place to live on Oahu, contact your branch school liaison to learn the school your child will be attending.

Geographic Exception: If you know where you will be living but are still in temporary quarters, you may request a Geographic Exception. Contact your branch school liaison for detailed information. Hawaii Department of Education information is available

Picking Up Your POV and Driving in Hawaii

Your privately owned vehicle (POV) will be shipped to Sand Island, Honolulu. You may call the Joint Personal Property Shipping Office (JPPSO), at the Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) complex, to check the status of your vehicle, or check the tracking website at The number for inbound POVs is 808-848-8383. Once your POV has arrived on island, take the Sand Island Access Road from Nimitz Highway. Continue until you cross two stoplights. Take the first left turn into the fenced roadway, at Pier 51B, which is marked with two signs: Matson Navigations Company and Matson Autos. Continue on this roadway, following the autos signs.Registering Your Vehicle in Hawaii

All automobiles used on the highway must be registered with the state of Hawaii within 10 days of arrival. If you are not a legal resident of Hawaii, you may keep your original vehicle license plates, but you must register your car to get a Hawaii vehicle permit sticker. To complete vehicle registration, you are required to have proof of ownership or certificate of registration; shipping documents; and Hawaii no-fault insurance coverage. Additionally, Hawaii requires an annual safety inspection for all vehicles; valid identification card; and Non-resident Certificate Form DSL50 (to be signed by your commanding officer verifying your home of record as reflected in your service record).

For more information on vehicle registration, visit the Department of Customer Services’s License Registration and Identification

Driver’s licenses issued by your home state are generally valid in Hawaii until they expire. If you wish to apply for a Hawaii driver’s license, you must present your Social Security card and current out-of-state license. If your out-of-state license has expired, you will be required to complete an application form and take and pass a written examination, eye test and road test. Your original license will not be returned. You must be 16 years of age to obtain a driver’s license in Hawaii. Persons 18 years of age and older, with a valid driver’s license from other states or Canada, may drive in Hawaii until their license expires or is otherwise declared invalid. Drivers age 16 and 17 must obtain legal parental or guardian consent, as well as pass a required driver’s education course. In addition, a driver’s education class is now required for those younger than 18. Driver’s licensing stations are usually located at district police stations and are run by the individual county. In 2009, Hawaii added legislation banning the use of electronic devices while driving.

The driver’s license stations throughout most of the Hawaiian Islands can manufacture on-site a complete plastic driver’s license with photograph. At some locations, permanent driver’s licenses will be mailed to the drivers who successfully pass the driving test. Motorcycle licenses and registration are handled by the individual county DMV.

The following list includes some helpful items to keep in mind when applying for a Hawaii driver’s license.

• The vehicle you drive must have current license plates, registration and safety check.

• The Hawaii motor vehicle insurance card must be current and valid. The name of the insured must be the same as the registered owner of the vehicle.

• Have all personal data proof documents when reporting for a driver’s license. In addition to presenting a Social Security card, you must also present a birth certificate or certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

• Those receiving treatment for alcohol or substance abuse are required to have medical clearance to receive a driver’s license.

• Oral examination provisions may be available for those who are unable to read, write or understand English.

• An instruction permit must be attained prior to applying for a road test.

• Those ages 15 to 17 must hold an instruction permit for no fewer than 90 days.

For more information, visit the Hawaii Driver’s License website Your Vehicle in Hawaii

The following steps will help guide you in obtaining insurance in Hawaii. First, you will need to purchase an auto insurance policy provided by a Hawaii carrier. Out-of-state auto insurance policies are not valid for registering your vehicle in Hawaii. When you are registering your vehicle, you will need to show proof of auto insurance by presenting a Hawaii vehicle identification card (VIC), which should be kept in the vehicle at all times.

An auto insurance policy will cover losses that can result from damages or injuries sustained from an accident.

The following is the minimum mandatory auto insurance coverage for all vehicles operated on Hawaii roads:

• Bodily Injury Liability (BI): $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.

• Property Damage Liability (PD): $10,000 per accident.

• Personal Injury Protection (PIP): $10,000 per person.

Optional coverage that offers additional protection including uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage and collision are also available.

Once you have purchased a Hawaii auto insurance policy, you can register your vehicle with the state of Hawaii, which must be done within 10 days of arrival.Safe Driving in Hawaii

Driving in Hawaii is a little different from other states.

Use the following safe driving tips to help keep you and your family safe on the road:

• Local residents do not use north, south, east and west when giving driving directions. They will tell you to head mauka (toward the mountain) or makai (toward the ocean) or to go in the Diamond Head (east) or Ewa (west) direction.

• Landmarks are often driving markers instead of names of streets. Pay close attention to stores and intersections around you, as you may be told to turn right at the Wal-Mart or to turn at the Anna Miller’s near Pearlridge Center.

• Familiarize yourself with the names of the exit streets on freeway markers rather than the number of the exit. Most people do not know what number exit they live off.

• Merging on freeway on-ramps can be dangerous in Hawaii. Many Honolulu on-ramps are located very near the next off-ramp, so be careful when merging in and out of freeway lanes near the exits.

• Please drive with the “aloha spirit.” Be courteous of fellow drivers and always drive defensively.

• “Shaka” is considered a courtesy sign when merging in traffic.


Under Hawaii DMV guidelines, motorcycle operators in Hawaii must have a Class 2 motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit.

For information including driver’s license office telephone numbers and addresses, how to obtain a license, temporary permits, required skills for passing the motorcycle driver performance test, a guide to motorcycle and scooter insurance laws, insurance Q&A, motorcycle safety education program application, clothing and gear for riding, and motorcycle operating tips, see the Hawaii Department of Transportation Motorcycle Operator Manual (PDF) at

Applicants must be at least 15.5 years old and pass the motorcycle knowledge test, a sign test and a vision screening. The final step is to pass the motorcycle skills test, where you will demonstrate your competency in motorcycle operation.

The state of Hawaii will waive your skills test and issue you a license if you have a motorcycle skills test certification for waiver issued by the Hawaii Motorcycle Safety Education Program or a valid motorcycle license or endorsement from a state that uses the motorcycle operator skill test. These two-day courses include classroom instruction and driver training in a controlled, off-street environment. When you successfully complete this course, you will be eligible for a Hawaii motorcycle driver’s license without having to take the state’s road test.

In addition to state of Hawaii laws, military bases also have requirements for motorcycle and moped operators and riders. The requirements differ slightly between services.

All services require every operator of a motorcycle to complete the Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s Basic Rider Course or other training approved by their service’s safety center. This training applies to riders whether or not they ride on or off base or on or off duty.

Source: Course

To attend a motorcycle safety course at Marine Corps Base Hawaii (Kaneohe Bay), call 808-257-1830. Call 808-474-3447, ext. 233 to attend at Ford Island. Call 808-655-6455 to attend at Wheeler Army Air Field.

Motorcycle and moped requirements (for all riders entering military installations) include:

• Helmet: Must be Department of Transportation-approved and fastened properly under the chin.

• Eye Protection: Eyes must be protected by shatter-resistant goggles or a full face shield attached to the helmet. A windshield, eyeglasses or fairing alone is not considered proper eye protection.

• Shoes: Must wear closed-toe, over-the-ankle shoes with hard soles. Sandals, slippers, tennis shoes and other similar footwear is not authorized.

• Reflective Vest: During daylight hours riders must wear brightly colored, outer upper garment or high-visibility reflective vest. During the hours of darkness riders must wear a high-visibility reflective vest of international orange, lime green or bright yellow with reflective striping. Do not cover or conceal the vest while riding a motorcycle or moped. Military personnel may wear the vest over the uniform of the day. Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam requires a vest both day and night.

• Attire: Must wear long trousers, long-sleeve shirt or jacket and full-fingered gloves. Riding apparel designed specifically for motorcycle riders is strongly encouraged.


Take Your Bike for a Tuneup or Buy a Bike

Before you ride, take your bike for a tuneup or buy a bike and support your local bike shop. They’re knowledgeable and like to help new cyclists. On Oahu, the local bike shops can help you ship your bike.Register Your Bike

All bicycles with 20 inch or larger wheels on Oahu are required to be registered in the city and county of Honolulu. There is a one-time fee of $15 and a fee of $5 when transferring ownership of a bicycle. After payment of the fee, the owner will be provided with a decal to be attached to the bicycle frame’s seat tube facing the forward direction. All taxes collected from the registration fees are deposited in a special bikeway fund, which is only used for bicycle-related city projects and programs.Bikes on TheBus

All buses on Honolulu’s TheBus system are equipped with either two- or three-capacity bike racks. Only single-seated, two-wheeled bikes are allowed on TheBus.

Safety reminders for loading a bike: When waiting to load a bike, always remain on the curb until TheBus has come to complete stop. Never approach TheBus from a side street. Bicycle racks are designed to be used from either the curbside or the front of the vehicle.Learn to Ride Safely — Adults

The Hawaii Bicycling League (HBL) offers Commuter Cycling 101 and Walk, Bike, Drive classes for free at Windward Community College and the University of Hawaii — Mnoa. HBL, with partnerships with local shops, also offers Traffic Skills 101.

Commuter Cycling 101 (CC101) is a two-hour mini introductory course on riding your bicycle in Hawaii, following bicycle traffic laws and being safe while commuting. With a League of American Bicyclists-certified instructor, 30 minutes will be spent in a classroom learning how to navigate Hawaii’s roads and interact with pedestrians and motorists. Another 30 minutes will be spent practicing defensive bicycling skills in a safe and controlled parking area. One hour will be spent implementing these practices and developing your skills on a group safety ride through the local neighborhood.

Walk, Bike, Drive (WBD) is a safety course for anyone who sets foot or tire on Hawaii’s streets and roads. Learn about comprehensive traffic safety with an hourlong classroom session on how to ensure your safety and the safety of others as a pedestrian, bicyclist and motorist. We will cover the rules of the sidewalk and roads, and the best practices to safely interact with those using other modes of transportation. Learn how to get safely across the street as a pedestrian, how to keep others safe when operating a motor vehicle and more.

Traffic Skills 101 will provide you with the skills and confidence needed to enjoy cycling in Honolulu. Course includes discussion on your rights and responsibilities under Hawaii law, where to ride on the road, who to ride with and where for a more enjoyable and safer experience, and how to develop your “radar” and sixth sense for safety. In addition, there will be discussion and some hands-on training on what equipment to use, clothes to wear for safety and comfort, and how to fix a flat, adjust your brakes and gear, and perform other general routine maintenance.Learn to Ride Safely — Keiki (Children)

The city and county of Honolulu sponsors the BikeEd Hawaii bicycle education program, which is run by the Hawaii Bicycling League. This nationally recognized program teaches on-road bicycle safety classes to fourth-grade students on Oahu.

The Hawaii Bicycling League also offers free community bike rodeos throughout the year on the island of Oahu. Visit the Hawaii Bicycling League’s website for more information on either program.Join a Weekly Ride and Register for an Event

Local bike shops and the Hawaii Bicycling League offer weekly rides and annual events. Visit an Oahu ride calendar at

Hawaii Bicycling League:

Bike Map (Oahu):

City and County of Honolulu Department of Transportation

Oahu Bike Shops: Island Triathlon & Bike, The Bike Shop, EKI Cyclerly, McCully Bicycle & Sporting Goods, Boca, The Kickstand, BIKEFACTORY.

TheBus: Rides 2016Tour of Hawaii


Jan. 4-7, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This second-annual Tour of Hawaii is a team-only cycling ride on the Big Island. The four-stage event covers about 350 miles, traversing the island from Hilo and Waimea and other locales on different days. Each team must have at least five riders wearing the same kind of jersey as well as at least one support vehicle with the team name on all sides. Teams are responsible for their own hydration, food and other support.

For more information, email trihawaii@icloud.comJohn B. Kelly’s Couples Ride

Every February, 8:30 a.m. at Kapiolani Community College, riding to Hawaii Kai for brunch at Cha Cha Cha Salsaria, 20 miles roundtrip, $22 per person, payable at the restaurant.

The JBK Couples Ride is named for John B. Kelly, former Hawaii Bicycling League treasurer and president, who would traditionally lead the group ride from the college to the restaurant for brunch. Kelly passed away in 2006, but the ride and his memory have carried on through the years.

For more information or to RSVP, contact Patricia Johnson at or call 808-988-4633.Hawaii Century Ride

Spencer Beach Park, Highway 270

Kawaihae, HI 96743

April 3, 6:30 a.m.

The annual Hawaii Century showcases some of the most beautiful country roads in the state, including the Akoni Pule Highway, Kohala Mountain Road, Mamalahoa Highway (Hawaii Belt Road) and the Queen Kaahumanu Highway. The century route is a 110-mile loop course with an elevation gain of 6,500 feet. Metric and half-metric century routes are available.

The event features friendly riders, great aid stations, a souvenir T-shirt and post-ride local grinds. Proceeds from the event benefit North Hawaii Hospice. For more information and to register, visit of Silence

Kaka’ako Park

Third Wednesday of May

Each May, cyclists around the world take to the roads in memory of those who have been killed or injured in collisions with vehicles.

The Ride of Silence is a silent ride at no more than 12 mph. There is no fee to register, no sponsors and no T-shirt. Join this ride to help raise cycling awareness while showing respect for those who have been killed or injured on the road. For more information, or call 808-735-5756.

Checking In

Military check-in requirements differ between the service branches. Be sure to check the specific branch section of this guide for appropriate check-in information.

Military Impact in Hawaii

Direct and indirect impacts of military expenditures are reported to generate $14.7 billion into Hawaii’s economy, creating more than 102,000 jobs for residents that collectively report household incomes around $8.7 billion.

Military expenditures totaling $8.8 billion annually have elevated the defense industry. Military procurement contracts amount to about $2.3 billion annually, making it a prime source of contracting opportunities for hundreds of Hawaii’s small businesses.

• Hawaii attracts increased activity in R&D projects and the presence of the nation’s top prime defense contractors: Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems, General Dynamics, Raytheon and several others.

• Many of Hawaii’s fledgling high-technology businesses receive federal grants through DOD programs such as those awarded by the Office of Naval Research (ONR) and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and mentor-protege programs administered by prime defense contractors.

• The Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard is Hawaii’s largest industrial plant, employing more than 4,600 engineers and skilled technicians to service naval surface ships and submarines based in Hawaii and responding to emergency repair calls throughout the Pacific. The naval shipyard also extends use of its facilities to service commercial ships.

• The Pacific Missile Range Facility at Barking Sands, Kauai is the island’s largest employer outside of government. It is the key R&D site for the nation’s ballistic-missile-defense program and the Navy’s premier anti-submarine warfare testing and training range.

• Since 2002, a 50-year contract to privatize the military family housing program has created billions of dollars in business opportunities for Hawaii’s small businesses contracted to develop, service and manage military residential communities for more than 17,000 homes throughout Oahu by Forest City and Lend Lease Hawaii.

• Hawaii is the only location in the world hosting the headquarters for the largest U.S. combatant command (U.S. Pacific Command), the Pacific component commands for the U.S. Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard, and combat-ready land, sea and air forces.

• The defense industry has the largest industry-related workforce in Hawaii, providing more than 97,500 jobs with annual household incomes totaling $8.7 billion and representing 16.5 percent of Hawaii’s total workforce.

• The Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai is the world’s largest multidimensional testing and training range. It is the only range in the world where submarines, surface ships, aircraft and space vehicles can train and be tracked simultaneously.

• The Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard is the largest industrial/repair complex and employer in Hawaii, with a workforce of nearly 5,000 civilians and military personnel. The total value of the shipyard is $2.54 billion, with more than $925 million funneling into Hawaii’s economy annually.

• The Coast Guard is the maritime workhorse in our island state, saving hundreds of lives and millions of dollars in property by completing search-and-rescue missions by sea and air annually.

• Hawaii’s military community total nearly 145,900 military members and dependents, including close to 60,000 active-duty, Reserve and National Guard members, more than 66,100 dependents and 19,720 Department of Defense civilians.

• Hawaii’s population includes more than 116,800 veterans, of which nearly 17,000 are military retirees. This represents 11 percent of Hawaii’s population.

For more information, visit